Monday, October 7, 2013

The Little Things - Organizing Your Purse

Whether it’s a purse, a day-bag or a “murse”, your over-the-shoulder carry-all can quickly become a disaster without regular TLC. I don’t know about you, but I get a sense of relief and a feeling of calm when I take just a few minutes to remove receipts and other junk that has accumulated in my purse over the course of the day…or sometimes the week! Remember, purses can make or break a first impression.  Do you really want an overflowing, discombobulated bag speaking for your personal organizational skills?

You may have noticed, I don’t like a cluttered purse and why settle for one when an organized purse feels so good! Besides taking the time to re-organize my purse regularly, I do a few things to keep myself from getting frustrated throughout my day that I’d like to share.

Not all Purses are Created Equal

They come in all shapes and sizes. Some are just big enough to fit the essentials. Others are like one giant, endless black hole a la Mary Poppins’ carpet bag. Like most women, I change out my bag regularly depending on where I am going and what I am wearing. But, the one constant is that I always need a lot of the same stuff.




Divide & Conquer

I have found that the best way to have access and flexibility to my on-the-go must-haves is to separate and consolidate.  First and foremost, I divide the contents of my purse into categories and then use little bags and a small wallet to house my items.


For example, I have a small kit of overnight/medical stuff including spare medications, a couple band-aids, a hotel sewing kit, and I even carry a small toothpaste & toothbrush set so I’m always ready for a spontaneous, romantic overnight with my Hubby. All these things are carefully stored in a small make-up bag I got at The Container Store.  I can’t tell you how many times that extra pair of contacts and sewing kit has saved me!


I use a separate small bag to hold all the make-up that travels in my purse. I keep the basics on me: mascara, a blush stick that doubles as lipstick (I love the Josie Maran Argan Oil Mini Color Sticks), a mini shadow compact, lip balm and a concealer (I use a product by MAC as my concealer called Paint Pot in Painterly that is actually a shadow primer). It’s another double-duty product! To carry my make-up brushes, I invested in a great travel set from Bobbi Brown Cosmetics.



Tip: Use smaller bags to sort your purse into sections.



Then there’s the financial side of carrying a purse - I use a slim wallet for cards and cash and have a change pouch for those occasions when I need change.  Cut the clutter by tossing most of your membership cards.  Most stores that hand them out, keep you in their computer system by your phone number.  So, say “adios!" to all the extra plastic in your wallet. Another item I keep stocked in my wallet are a few business cards.  You never know when you will make a good connection!





















Items You Need Handy

It feels like most of the things in your purse should be handy, that’s why you’re carrying it all around, right? Small bags will help you to easily grab things that can be identified by category, but what about those valet or parking garage tickets? Digging around looking for a misplaced ticket can be frustrating.

Now I’m going to give you an organizing tip that goes beyond the purse. You can use this in your everyday life to stay less flustered and confused.

Tip: Put things in the same place. (I know, you've heard this before, but you should do it!)

Do you keep your tweezers with your meds or your make-up? That’s up to you, but always keep them in the same place so you know where to find them.  For example, your keys. If they are not in one of the doors you use, they should be in an easy-to-grab place in your purse. I love purses with a little clip inside for just this purpose. If I am carrying a purse without a little key clip, I make sure to stick my keys in a purse pocket.

Everything about organizing your purse can make sense for your life. Take a few minutes each day, or each week, to empty and organize your purse so that it’s back to its resting state. Your mind will appreciate the relief from clutter and chaos and friends will appreciate not having to help you find your keys!

Staying organized is one way to stay sane, it turns out!

~Katrina Teeple~
Keeping you Operation Organized!

P.S. When I head out for a night on the town or a special event like a wedding, I always bring a clutch which never fits everything from my everyday purse.  So, what I grab from my regular purse and pop into a clutch are the following: my mini wallet, lip balm, concealer, and my double-duty blush stick, sewing kit for wardrobe malfunctions, and some gum! What are your clutch-worthy items?







1 comment:

  1. Thanks for these tips! I will be sure to use them to tame my awesome-but-out-of-control purse!

    ReplyDelete